Monday, June 04, 2007

ber samal samal

I'm back safe and sound!
I had an amazing trip and i can't even begin to describe what the whole experience was like.
Samal Island was fantastic and the people just awesome!

Of course we had a few bumps here and there and my patience was greatly tested by certain people. But all that aside, it was a good trip.

I think most of us were misinformed about Mindanao. Various people told us that it was dangerous with lots of bomb threats and kidnapping cases etc. And when we arrived at Davao airport it looked like some war torn area cause of the military personal with AK's walking around. But after we left the airport and got int the city, it began to look like any other South East Asian city. We took a ferry across to Samal Island and it was sooo beautiful.

I felt like i had my beach vacation and mission trip all at one go. =) The houses on Samal are pretty much like the Orang Asli houses in Camerons or Pahang. Bamboo huts with atap roofs and stuff but they had the most amazing scenery from their verandah's. Most of the people are fishermen or coconut harvesters and they live right by the sea. Imagine waking up everyday to the sound of waves and looking out onto the blue sea and skies.

One thing which was annoying in Samal was that the sun rises at 5am. And people start getting up and walkign around at that time. Being a light sleeper, i had to wake up at 5ish as well. *ugh!*
And the sun sets by 6pm. So its pitch dark in the evenings and everyone's in bed by 9pm.

Well we managed to meet a lot of the Foursquare Gospel Church pastors and we met the bible school students as well as a lot of the village kids and youth. Foursquare is like FAMOUS there and practically everyone has heard of it. (Take that you ignorant people who thought that Foursquare was some cult denomination! Yeah I've experienced some inquisitive and judgmental looks from fellow Christians when i told them which church I'm from. =p)

I think i did a lot of stuff i didn't think i could do in terms of public speaking and after much soul searching during my trip I'm still assured that i've not swayed from what i'm passionate about and i know that the 'calling' is still the same. I went to the Philipines at a time when i was driest. But i'm glad the experience was what i needed to refresh me.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Meowlisa said...

Welcome back! *hugs* church was so sad without u guys..heh.cant wait to hear all about it this wed :)

2:33 PM  
Blogger .anna.begins. said...

i'm glad you had a good time, beb. miss ya!! meet up when you get back from mlk? :)

7:51 PM  
Blogger teMMe said...

hullo mel. just out of curiousity, where's your church located at? :)

10:19 PM  
Blogger hoyden said...

Hi Mel! can't wait to see u guys on wed!

Na~! I'm just waiting for your call. tried reaching you so many times.

Temme~ We're at USJ 21. Are you still at Ps Suresh's church?

11:20 AM  
Blogger teMMe said...

No Mel, I haven't been there for a while now.

Mmm I currently go to DUMC cuz it's easy for me to get there without having a car.

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home