Wednesday, September 26, 2007

... /...

Every year in school, we were asked to fill up some form about ourself and right below was the question: What is your ambition?

We had three options to fill out I never took the question seriously till about Form Five. I always wrote weird stuff like 1)Model, 2)Flight Attendant, and 3)Lawyer. One year was 1)Biologist, 2)Zoologist and 3)Social Worker and once I even put 1)Police Women, 2)Fireman and 3)Teacher. heh!

Well in Form Five, i honestly thought about the question and I put down 1)Journalist, 2)Graphic Designer, 3)Psychologist. Looking back, I'm glad i didn't veer too far away from my ambitions.

After graduation i wanted to be a Designer/Writer and most people told me that i shouldn't be too ambitious. "You can't be both!" said the Journalist. "Why so greedy?" said the Sales person.

SO anyway, long story short, today I'm a writer/photographer. I'm loving what I do but sometimes i think there's some truth in what they've said. I find myself struggling to listen during a press conference while I snap photos and I think I've mentioned before... I'm not good at multitasking.

SO today, i ended up looking quite silly cause i asked a question during the PC and then i hurriedly picked up my camera and started snapping and I think it looked rather rude cause i wasn't looking at her in her face while she was addressing me but rather i was looking through my lens. Plus, you don't see many photographers balancing a notepad and pen while scuffling with other press photographers to get a shot.

Sometimes you begin to wonder, 'which trade am I really good at?' I don't want to be like the saying "Jack of all trades, master of none"

But I DO want to be a 'Jack of all trades'. That's what keeps you on your feet right! To be diverse and able to dip your hands in various fields. That's what makes a job exciting i think.

Of course some people might argue that "I'm paid to be a writer not a photographer" but do we all really just work for money or is there such a thing as self improvement and personal satisfaction?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been there done that. This is where a coin comes in handy. LoL Heads for photography tails for journalism *flick* oh lookie here it's _____ i guess i should go with _____

12:44 PM  
Blogger teMMe said...

I honestly wanted to be a firefighter and a policewoman once upon a time. Lookie where I am, nowhere near uniforms.

Once, I wrote "housewife" in those ambition thingy simply because I couldn't be bothered. Needless to say, the teasing that entailed made me realise what a big mistake that was. I can be so dumb sometimes.

1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home