Tuesday, March 03, 2009

a life worth remembering

One of the best things about family gatherings are the endless tales of old that flitter across the room in varying versions. The conversation nearly always centers around my grandparents and their home and involves the many visitors and homeless they had opened their doors to.

Its interesting to note that in a home with 7 children, a couple could even afford to bring in three (or more) adults and a handful of other children. That's 15 - 17 odd mouths to feed and no one ever went hungry. It's a wonder that everyone even had a bed/space to sleep in.

Hearing my family talk about people long gone as if they had only last met yesterday, makes me wonder what kind of conversation I will have of my parents and what the next generation will have about me.

I do often wonder if we live lives worth remembering. Nothing seems significant enough. Nothing as funny as knowing a mad old flasher who was Tunku's cousin. Or as amazing enough as knowing a person who survived Japanese torture.

I suppose till I really live and dream big dreams, I'd be left wondering about the significance of my being. I just pray that at the end, we'd all have a legacy that's worth something. One not built on wealth and riches or a great name.

Someone once said: “I may be here for a short while, gone tomorrow into oblivion or until the days come to take me away. But, in whatever part you play, be remembered as part of a legacy...of sharing dreams and changing humanity for the better. It's that legacy that never dies”

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home